Yokaro (翼果楼), the Restaurant Serving Local Special Gourmet, Grilled Mackerel over Thin Noodles, by Lake Biwa, Shiga, Japan


On Feb. 15, 2019, after I visited Toyosato Town Toyosato Elementary School (豊郷小学校), the holy place of the popular anime, "K-ON!" in Shiga, Japan, I took the train north to Nagahama Station at the north side of Lake Biwa, Shiga.

Yokaro (翼果楼), the restaurant I visited this time, was the famous time-honored restaurant in Nagahama, Shiga. Moreover, its building had existed for over 200 years!


I arrived here at the time when they were going to close.


Thus here was no other customer.


Probably, due to the coincidence, I could enjoy the silent moment in the historic site.


Yokaro's signature dish was Grilled Mackerel over Thin Noodles (焼鯖そうめん), the local dish by the northern Lake Biwa. It was also the reason why I visited Nagahama this time!


So, I ordered a bowl of grilled mackerel over thin noodles (焼鯖そうめん) at 900 JPY (= 8.27 USD) and a small dish of grilled mackerel sushi at 650 JPY (= 5.97 USD).


My meal was served sooner than I expected probably because I was the only customer then.



The grilled mackerel looked quite attractive and smelled very mouth-watering!



The combination of grilled mackerel and sushi rice was really flawless!



The grilled mackerel over thin noodles (焼鯖そうめん) looked state-of-the-art, especially the spiral of thin noodles.


The thin noodles were a little softer but good at absorbing its sauce. The sauce reached a perfect equilibrium between sweetness and saltiness. Their combination was also pretty excellent!


The mackerel tasted full of the yummy sauce, and its bone and meat were both so tender that they seemed to melt in my mouth!


Besides its original flavor, seasoning with Japanese pepper powder and shichimi (七味) powder made the tasty thin noodles even more flavorful!


Not only the food at Yokaro (翼果楼) was fantastic and special, but also its building was very historic!


After finishing the scrumptious grilled mackerel over thin noodles (焼鯖そうめん), I took a stroll the historic street in Nagahama. It was a shame that most of the stores here were closed when it was closed to the sunset. After a while, I headed south to Hikone Station by rail and then checked in at the hotel I was going to stay that night.


Map Information


Business Hours:10:30 - 17:00 (週一公休)
TEL:+81 749-63-3663

留言