Yossou (吉宗), the Time-Honored Restaurant Specializing in Superb Chawanmushi in Nagasaki, Japan Est. 1866


On Dec. 24, 2018, I left for Downtown Nagasaki from Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan by railway in the afternoon. After I unloaded my luggage at the hotel in Nagasaki's Chinatown, I took a short rest and walked around the commercial street. Roughly at 17:00, I arrived at Yossou (吉宗) in Downtown Nagasaki.


Yossou (吉宗) was a historic restaurant in Nagasaki, Japan since 1866! It had opened for over 150 years!


Of course, the signature of Yossou (吉宗) was exactly its chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し, an egg custard dish found in Japan)



There were 2 floors in Yossou (吉宗). After entering the restaurant, I had my seat on the 1st floor.


Because I thought in fact every meal in Japan was a little too much for me during this trip, I decided to just order a simple single meal even on Christmas Eve.


The indoor decoration of the restaurant looked traditionally Japanese. I could even enjoy the garden indoors.


After a while, my simple single meal was served. There were a bowl of steamed sushi and a bowl of chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し). The meal cost me 1,350 JPY (= 12.44 USD).


There were shredded egg, fish floss and shrimp floss topping on the steamed sushi. It looked colorful and beautiful. And it tasted quite amazing with the chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し)!


The ingredients inside the chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し) were rich and diverse! Shiitake, chicken, shrimp and eel were all included! Every bite I had was just like the surprise when opening a Christmas present! The chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し) of the historic restaurant with the light aroma of the broth and egg and the soft and fluffy texture was absolutely worth a try!





After enjoying the the popular and scrumptious chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し) with locals for over a century, I took a stroll around the commercial streets and then headed back to the hotel to take a rest.


Map Information



Opening Hours:11:00 - 20:00
Official Website:http://yossou.co.jp/
TEL:+81 95-821-0001

留言