Wakkanai Station, the Northernmost JR Station in Japan!


On May 15, 2016,  the next day after I arrived in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan, I went to the northernmost station, Wakkanai Station, by the train, Soya Express, from Sapporo in the early morning.

Soya Express to Wakkanai from Sapporo operated by JR Hokkaido
Soya Express
On my way to Wakkanai, the snow hadn't melted in some areas and my data sim card showed no service. After 5-hour long trip, I finally arrived in Wakkanai, the northernmost city with a JR station!

Wakkanai Station, the northernmost JR station in Hokkaido, Japan
Wakkanai Station, the northernmost Station in Japan.
Wakkanai Station, the northernmost JR station, Nishi Oyama the southernmost JR station in Japan
The sign about northernmost and southernmost JR station.
The hall of Wakkanai Station in Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
The hall of Wakkanai Station
The facade of JR Wakkanai Station in Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
The facade of JR Wakkanai Station
It was time for lunch when I got to Wakkanai. I went to the ekiben (railway boxed meals) shop at Wakkanai Station. There were several kinds of ekibens sold at the shop!

Wakkanai's ekiben bento raliway boxed meal lunchbox in Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
The ekiben shop
I was thinking which one was the best ekiben of them, but my bus to Cape Soya, the northernmost point of Japan, was coming soon! Finally I decided to take the ekiben with 7 kind of seafood! It looked more attractive for a seafood lover then others!

Wakkanai's ekiben bento raliway boxed meal lunchbox in Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
The ekiben I chose included 7 kinds of seafood 
I got on the bus to Cape Soya, the northernmost point of Japan, and enjoyed my ekiben. I did think the ekiben was the best bento I had ever eaten! After having the ekiben, I took a catnap because I was too tired and woke up until the bus reached my destination, Cape Soya, the northernmost point of Japan

Wakkanai's ekiben bento raliway boxed meal lunchbox in Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
The best bento I had ever eaten!

The Map

留言