My Experience about the International Overnight Ferry from Busan, South Korea to Fukuoka, Japan (Camellia Line)

(中文版:跨國夜行渡輪經驗分享,韓國釜山至日本福岡 (Camellia Line))

On Sep. 13, 2018, after visiting Gamcheon Culture Village (감천문화마을), I went shopping at Jalgachi and Nampo Station by Busan Metro. After shopping, I took the metro to Choryang Station and then walked to Busan Port International Passenger Terminal (부산국제여객터미널).


Although the suggestion on Busan Metro's map was to walk to Busan Port International Passenger Terminal (부산국제여객터미널) from Choryang Station, in fact, it was quite inconvenient for travelers in my experience. The better route was walking from Busan Station.

Busan Port International Passenger Terminal (부산국제여객터미널) 


I checked in at Camellia Line's counter after arriving at Busan Port International Passenger Terminal. The deadline of check-in was 19:00. By the way, I paid additional 12,300 KRW (= 10.87 USD) by cash when checking in due to fuel surcharge (8,000 KRW=7.07 USD) and ferry terminal fee (4,300 KRW=3.8 USD).


After I got my ferry ticket, I just waited for emigration check at the ferry terminal. The ferry terminal was bright and spacious. There were also a restaurant and a convenient store.


After I finished tax refund and emigration check, I walked to tax-free shop. I didn't spend too much time on the tax-free shop because I didn't want buy anything.


Although I could board the ferry after emigration check roughly at 19:30, actually the ferry would left from Busan Port at 22:30.


After I got in the ferry, New Camellia, I put my luggage in my room at first. My room was second-classed room at discounted price, 2,500 JPY(= 22.21 USD). Its maximum capacity was 10 people. There were total 4 people in my room that night.


There were various room classes in New Camellia. Because I only stayed here for one night, I chose the cheapest second-classed room.
*The detailed fare is on https://www.camellia-line.co.jp/


After I unloaded my luggage, I took a stroll on the ferry.


It rained a lot in Busan, South Korea that evening, so I just took a few photos outdoors.


The facilities in New Camellia were quite good! Passengers could enjoy the night view at the salon.


There was also a restaurant in the ferry. It served buffet and set meals. But this time my dinner was the cup of instant noodles bought for tax free threshold.


There were also lounges for chatting.


This time I was glad to chat with one of my one-night roommate, a Peruvian who was studying in Japan's University of Tokyo. We enjoyed the Korean alcohol beverages, instant noodles and snacks together. We had a lot of fun!


There was a public bath to take a hot bath! I could enjoy the night view of Busan Port at the public bath! Because we happily talked to each other, we went to the public bath late. The time when we took a hot bath was just when the ferry departed from Busan Port. We saw the ferry slowly leaving for Fukuoka, Japan from Busan, South Korea. It was not only splendid but also amazing!

The public bath was closed at 23:00. After that I went back to my room. And then I felt asleep very early because the Internet lost connected after the ferry sailed on international waters.

I woke up at 05:30. The ferry had already arrived in Hakata Port, Fukuoka, Japan!

Hakatako International Ferry Terminal (博多港国際ターミナル)



Even though the ferry arrived in Hakata Port at 05:30, Japan's immigration counter opened at 07:30.


Additionally, there was no Wi-Fi in the ferry, New Camellia, and I didn't have Japan's data SIM card then. I just fooled around the ferry and took some photos.




After that, I'd like to try the buffet breakfast to kill some time!


It was necessary to buy the food ticket via the ticket vender before entering the restaurant!



The price of the buffet breakfast here was 800 JPY (= 7.12 USD). It was acceptable for me!


The seats here were not bad. Customers could enjoy the sea views on some seats!


It was closed to 07:30 after finishing the breakfast!


I disembarked from the ferry and head to Japan's immigration counter.


Formally, I eventually arrived in Fukuoka, Japan!



Afterwards, I was waiting for the BRT to Tenjin, Fukuoka. After getting on the BRT, it was time to say goodbye to New Camellia and Hakata International Ferry Terminal!


The fare from Hakata International Ferry Terminal to Tenjin Station was 190 JPY (= 1.69 USD).


After I arrived at Tenjin-Minami Station, Fukuoka, I walked to Hotel WBF Tenjin-Minami, the hotel I was going to stay that night, to get my free data sim card booked on trip-free.com! And then I waited for my university classmates who successively arrived in Fukuoka on Sep. 14, 2018 and met them! Next, we were going to start our 7-day classmate reunion in Kyushu, Japan in 2018!

留言