Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋), the Historic and Excellent Soba Noodle Restaurant Est. 1465 in Kyoto, Japan!


In the afternoon of Feb. 16, 2019, I got to Downtown Kyoto, Japan from Ishiyama-dera Temple, Shiga, Japan. I visited Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋), the famous and historic restaurant in Kyoto, for lunch.

It’s signature was soba noodles!


Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋) had been established since Kansho 6 (A.D. 1465). It had been operated for over 550 years!


That day my seat was on the 2nd floor.


Because I stayed at Ishiyama-dera Temple longer than I expected, I arrived at Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋) for lunch roughly at 16:00.


Because it was off-peak time, there was not so many customers.


There were many options on its menu.


But it was my 1st time to visit Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋), so I still decided to order its speciality, Hourai Soba (宝来そば) at 2,160 JPY (= 19.9 USD).


Here was the food model of Hourai Soba (宝来そば) on its 1st floor. It looked quite luxurious.



It took time after I placed my order. Waiting Patiently was the necessary skill when enjoying the gourmet.


After a while, my hourai soba (宝来そば) was served on my table. It was the time to enjoy!


There were 5 dishes of soba noodles included in the set.


Its seasonings looked also very mouth-watering.


Here was an instruction about how to enjoy hourai soba (宝来そば) for the customers who visited Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋) for their 1st time.


Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋) suggested me put the seasonings on the soba noodles and then pour the sauce into the dish.


I tried to made every dish of soba noodles a little different from each other, visually and gustatorily.


The texture of soba noodles was great! They were really matched with the sauce and every topping! The combinations were various and tasty!


The condiments were really delicious, especially the shiitake tsukudani, shrimp and shredded egg. I love all of them so much!


After I enjoyed the scrumptious soba noodles, I had the soba soup. I heard it was good for digestion.


Soba soup was the boiled water where people cooked soba noodles.


The soba soup was a beautiful period for the scrumptious hourai soba (宝来そば).


After my lunch, I just took a break and then paid my bill on its 1st floor. Luckily, credit card were acceptable here!

Besides the heavenly soba noodles, Honke Owariya (本家尾張屋) also sold the soba rice cake.

Its skin was grilled over fire and had aromas of sesame and buckwheat. The red bean paste inside was fully stuffed and tasted sweet but not cloying. Personally speaking, I loved it so much!

Its price was just 108 JPY (= 0.99 USD) per soba rice cake. It was really suitable to be the sweet with tea or coffee or the gift to friends and relatives. But its shelf life was not too long, so its expiry date was the important issue!


Map Information



Business Hours:11:00 - 18:00
Official Website:https://honke-owariya.co.jp/
TEL:+81 75-231-3446

留言