Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯), the Yummy Local Speciality in Tainan, Taiwan Est. 1922


On Oct. 5, 2017, the 5th day of our journey around Taiwan, my friend and I had breakfast in Tainan, Taiwan. But lots of restaurant was closed that day. Finally we decided to go to Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) for breakfast.

Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
In fact, I had been to Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) since my 1st time to visit Taiwan. In my memory, the shrimp rice here was not only special but also delicious!

Menu @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Menu @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
But the price this year seemed much higher than then!

Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
I just ordered shrimp rice, over easy duck egg and a bowl of miso soup.

Shrimp rice @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Shrimp rice @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
For me, the essence of shrimp rice was not only the firm texture of velvet shrimp but also its tasty special sauce with the rice!

Miso soup @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Miso soup @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
There were tofu, fried tofu and dried sardines in the bowl of miso soup. It tasted lighter than ordinary miso soup. Although I preferred the richer miso soup, it was still acceptable.

My breakfast @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
My breakfast @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
The breakfast that cost me totally 75 TWD (=2.5 USD). The breakfast here was still quite good, but the power of inflation was also scaring!

Shrimp rice + over easy duck egg @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
Shrimp rice + over easy duck egg @ Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) in Tainan, Taiwan
I loved to put the over easy duck egg on the shrimp rice so much! It tasted so delectable!

Cheng the Short Guy's Shrimp Rice (矮仔成蝦仁飯) is still quite delicious for me, but price has become a little unaffordable. But you shouldn't miss the delicious local speciality if you haven't experienced it. But please don't look forward to its size too much!


Map Information


Opening Hours: 08:30 - 19:30 (Closed on Tuesdays)
Official Website: http://www.shrimprice.com.tw/

留言