Lin He-Fa's Oil Rice (林合發油飯), the Centuried Taiwanese Gourmet Food in Taipei, Taiwan Est. 1894


On Nov. 4, 2020, my friends and I would like to watch the vote counting of U.S. presidential election together. I planned to head to the hotel where they stayed in Taipei, Taiwan and detour to Lin He-Fa's Oil Rice (林合發油飯) to buy our brunch.


Lin He-Fa's Oil Rice (林合發油飯) was located at Yongle Market (永樂市場) near MRT Beimen Station (捷運北門站). It had been established since 1894, Qing's Guangxu 20. It was the historical food stall in Taipei, Taiwan for over a century!


The length of the queueing line here seemed never shorter. It took me about 20 minute to queue.


I could see the counter fully occupied by the reserved oil rice boxes!


I ordered 3 identical boxes of oil rice. Every box consisted of 300-gram oil rice (油飯) at 50 TWD (= 1.75 USD), a chicken thigh (雞腿) at 70 TWD (= 2.45 USD) and a soy sauce egg (滷蛋) at 10 TWD (= 0.35 USD). By the way, credit cards were acceptable via some mobile payments!


After I got our oil rice boxes, I headed to my friends' hotel at my highest speed!


Eventually, we could open the oil rice boxes we were all looking forward to! After all, the oil rice boxes smelled so mouth-watering especially when I was on MRT!


The oil rice was almost covered by the shredded shiitake mushrooms and pork. The soy sauce egg and roasted chicken thigh were next to the oil rice.


The japonica rice were stirred and fried with some sesame oil and shallots. The texture of rice was also springy but not too oily. With the braised shredded pork, shiitake and dried shrimps, the oil rice tasted so heavenly!


The roasted chicken thigh smelled so aromatic. The chicken skin outside was slightly crispy, and the chicken meat inside was tender and juicy. The combination of roasted chicken thigh and oil rice was perfect!


The soy sauce egg was well marinated. It tasted not bad. Probably I preferred the soft-boiled eggs with liquid egg yolk, so the soy sauce egg was just OK for me.


Lin He-Fa's Oil Rice (林合發油飯) has been established in Taipei, Taiwan for over a century. It's one of Taipei's most representative and local gourmet foods!

Personally speaking, Lin He-Fa's Oil Rice (林合發油飯) is absolutely one of Taipei's must-eat foods when visiting Taipei, Taiwan!


Map Information


Business Hours:07:30 - 13:00 (Closed on Mondays)
TEL:+8862 2559 2888

留言